lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: inter-term correlation [was Re: Vector Space Model in Lucene?]
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:36:15 GMT

On Nov 14, 2003, at 20:29, Philippe Laflamme wrote:

>> Rules of linguistics? Is there such a thing? :)
>
> Actually, yes there is. Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a very
> broad
> research subject but a lot has come out of it.

A lot of what? "If" statements? :)

> More specifically, Rule-based taggers have become very popular since
> Eric
> Brill published his works on trainable rule-based tagging.
>
> Essentially, it comes to down analysing sentences to determine the role
> (noun, verb, etc.) of each words. It's very helpful to extract
> noun-phrases
> such has "cardiovascular disease" or "magnetic resonance imaging" from
> documents.

I would agree with that. But it's easier said than done. And the result
are never, er, clear cut.

> So, yep... you can definitely derive rules to analyse natural
> language...

Well... beyond the jargon and the impressive math... this all boils
down to fuzzy heuristics and judgment calls... but perhaps this is just
me :)

> I'm sure you already know about all of this...

Not really. I'm more of a dilettante than a "NLP expert".

> just thought it might be
> interesting for some...

Sure. But my take on this, is that pigs will fly before NLP turns into
a predictable "science" :)

PA.