lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Document Clustering
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:50:12 GMT
Hi Otis,

On Nov 11, 2003, at 16:41, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> How is document clustering different/related to text categorization?

Not that I'm an expert in any of this, but clustering is a much more
"holistic" approach than categorization. Usually, categorization is
understood as a more precise endeavor (e.g. dmoz.org), while clustering
is much more "fuzzy" and non-deterministic. Both try to achieve the
same goal though. So perhaps this is just a question of jargon.

I'm confident that the owner of this site could help bring some light
on the finer point of clustering vs categorization:

http://www.lissus.com/resources/index.htm

Cheers,

PA.