lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "sam s" <tamputa...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Context-based suggestions with spell check
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:14:53 GMT
Levenshtein is again word based like spell check. I found Jazzy quite handy
to some level for spell check. I am not worrying much about the spell check
part. What I want to do is show user right spell check suggestion (when
spell check returns multiple suggestions) based on other words he/she
entered for the search.
Once again going to same example
User enters: inted motherboard
spell check returns 3 suggestions for inted
inter
intel
intek

In this situation since I have both words intel and motherboard in one
document of my search collection I should able to show user something like
Did you mean: intel motherboard?

One simplest way to achieve this is do search 3 times for all three
suggestions with word motherboard and show user suggestion for which search
got more hits. Problem with this is number of iterations involved. If there
are suggestions on two words user entered, there will be all kinds of
combinations and those many iterations. So I dont want to go this way.

I haven't studied in detail how lucene does indexing and search on it. I
don't know whether that will help.

Has anybody come across this problem? Or I must be missing something..

Again, I apologize if you guys think this is not right post for lucene user
list.

Thanks,
Abhay