lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Can use Lucene be used for this
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:23:41 GMT
On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 10:00  PM, Kumar Mettu wrote:
> The format of the file is as follows:
>
> Col1,col2,col3,Value
> ----------------------------
> abababc,xyzzzzzza,ccccc,100
> ababadx,xyz,adfdfd,101
>
> I need to retrieve the value with simple queries on the data like:
> select  value where col1 like %ab&, col2 like %aa% and col3 sounds
> like aaaa;
>
> Is Lucene suitable for doing this kind of tasks? I am using DB
> currently for this. Wondering whether Lucene can be used for this.

It's not a straightforward use of Lucene to emulate that type of query.
  The trickiest one is the "sounds like".  The FuzzyQuery in Lucene is
close, but not quite a "soudns like".  You could use WildcardQuerys for
the "like" clauses, but they might be better served with more
sophisticated analysis that puts all combinations ("a", "ab", "aba",
"abab"....") as terms.

There are certainly tricks that could be played at either indexing
analysis or query analysis times that could do what you want.  Would it
be faster than a fast database with that large of a dataset?  I'm not
sure.

	Erik