lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hackl, Rene" <Rene.Ha...@FIZ-Karlsruhe.DE>
Subject Re: Can use Lucene be used for this
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:18:33 GMT
> If you can figure out how to tell Lucene what the parts of strings are
> when you create the index, it should be easy to do this.

Well, sometimes different kinds of brackets, hyphens and interpunctation
signs
would inherently belong to strings, sometimes not. The whole collection as
such
is rather heterogeneous and on top of it multilingual, and the app has to
satisfy different user needs. But ... (continued)

> Otherwise, I
> suspect that Lucene might not be the right tool for the job (more
> experienced users might care to confirm).

...we used Oracle Intermedia for text retrieval until now and the rest is
silence... ;-)

> DDJ did have a recent article that mentioned a solution to a similar
> problem:
>
>	Full-Text Searching & the Burrows-Wheeler Transform Kendall Willets

Thanks for the pointer!

Best regards,

René