lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Gerret Apelt <g...@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Subject Re: Score
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:25:04 GMT
Tracey --

it would help if you could give more detail on the types of documents,
fields and analyzers you're using. Also what do you mean by "Multi Field
Search"? I presume you're using the MultiFieldQueryParser to have query
terms in a user-submitted query be searched for in each field in your index.

If I am understanding your problem, then it might be the same one I had
a few weeks ago -- highly relevant matches would not receive a high
ranking. (This paragraph will apply to you only if you use more than
just one Analyzer for the set of your fields). I had six fields in my
index, most of which were populated with a standard analyzer. I used
self-made Analyzers for two of the fields. This turned out to be my
problem when using MultiFieldQueryParser: I told my
MultiFieldQueryParser instance to use only the standard analyzer.
Instead I discovered that I needed to make use of
org.apache.lucene.analysis.PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper and feed that to the
MultiFieldQueryParser. Unless you do this, your problem is whats
described here:
http://lucene.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi?file=chapter.indexing&toc=faq#q15.

Most likely, if your scoring is off, you're "doing something wrong" in
the way you use the Lucene API -- at least, thats what I've discovered
to be the case when my ranking is off.

If you're interested in the nitty-gritty of how scoring is done, check
this FAQ entry:
http://lucene.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi?file=chapter.search&toc=faq#q31

cheers,
Gerret