lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Two possible solutions on Parallel Searching
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:56:42 GMT
Jie Yang wrote:
> In this case, probably using a single RAMDirectory
> would allow me to run parallel searching without worry
> about disk access. Well, anyone tried to have a
> RAMDirectory of 5G in size?

I don't know of a Java implementation which lets you have a heap larger
than 2GB.  In my experience, things get flakey when the heap is larger
than 1.5GB.  So RAMDirectory may not work in this case.

Another approach that we've found useful is to, on linux, use a ramfs
filesystem.  If you've got a 64-bit machine with 6GB of RAM, it should
be possible to build a 5GB ramfs and put the index there.  That gives
nearly as good of performance as RAMDirectory.

Doug