lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Query Filters on term A in query "A AND (B OR C OR D)"
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:50:59 GMT
Jie Yang wrote:
>  --- Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> Well, not quite, User normally enters a search string
> A that normally returns 1000 out of 2 millions docs. I
> then append A with 500 OR conditions... A AND (B or C
> or ... or x500).

Are you adding the same 500 terms to each query?  Or even a similar set?
  If so, then filters could help.  If the 500 terms are different for
each query, then filters probably won't help you.

> How long will the filtered doc id be retained in the
> memory? can I manually manpulate this filtered doc
> ids, say pre-populate a sets of filtered data in
> memory and play with memory sizes.

A filter requires 1 bit per document in the index.  So, if you have 1M
documents (which is what I recall you have) then each filter will
require around 125kB.  You could pre-populate them.  Check out QueryFilter.

Doug