lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Two possible solutions on Parallel Searching
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:10:25 GMT
William W wrote:
> If I have two indexes and use the MultiSearcher will it  be faster than
> only one index with all the documents ?

No, in fact it would be slower.  However it could be faster if (a)
someone contributes a parallel version of MultiSearcher and (b) you're
either running on a multiple-CPU machine, or your MultiSearcher is
composed of RemoteSearchers, each on a different machine.  But, for now,
the answer is no.

It seems that it may be time for a parallel version of MultiSearcher...

Doug