lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Objection to using /tmp for lock files.
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:29:31 GMT
When I first read this changelog entry:

 > 2. Changed file locking to place lock files in
 >    System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir"), where all users are
 >    permitted to write files.  This way folks can open and correctly
 >    lock indexes which are read-only to them.

I just assumed that this was an optional feature.

I think this is a dangerous change and should be disabled by default (or
only enabled with lock files can't be used due to read only media).

Regardless... it doesn't break our use of Lucene but it seems like a
pretty drastic decision.

I think it's a good feature but I just feel it shouldn't be enabled by
default.

Kevin

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D