lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Vector Space Model in Lucene?
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:07:42 GMT
On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 02:54  PM, Chong, Herb wrote:
> it solves one part of the problem, but there are a lot of sentences in
> a typical document. you'll need to composite a rank of a document from
> its constituent sentences then. there are less drastic ways to solve
> the problem. the other problem is that Lucene doesn't consider the
> term order in the query unless the query is formulated as a phrase. a
> simple bag-of-words query doesn't make use of the ordering of terms
> that apply in a given language.

BooleanQuery _could_ take the order of terms into account for weighting
and scale the weights accordingly, I believe.

I get the feeling you're looking for reasons that Lucene is inadequate.
  This may be the case for the uses you're speaking of, but there is
quite a bit of flexibility with Lucene in terms of Analysis, scoring,
and custom Query implementations that all relate to what you've been
speaking of.  And, of course, Lucene is a low-level component of which
a higher level piece could be built around.

	Erik