lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chong, Herb" <HCho...@bloomberg.com>
Subject RE: Two possible solutions on Parallel Searching
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:42:09 GMT
multiple threads on a single disk will likely results in significantly slower searching, possibly
an order of magnitude or more slowdown depending on many factors such as available RAM, etc.

Herb...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jie Yang [mailto:jyang_work@YAHOO.CO.UK]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 3:13 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Two possible solutions on Parallel Searching

That's the solution I have in mind, since I do not
have multiple machines avaiable to me. Would
multi-threads on a single disk produces any
performance advantage? since i don't see CPU is
utilised 100% normally. In this case, does the
bottleneck happens on the mutli-thread concurrent
process sharing or on the single disk read? if its the
latter, probably, I can get away by putting multiple
indexes on seperate hard disks, but still runs on
single CPU.