lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tun Lin" <chen...@singnet.com.sg>
Subject RE: Lucene refresh index function (incremental indexing).
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:36:55 GMT
Can you elaborate on "you don't compile directory using Lucene"?

These are the steps I took:

1) I compile all the files in a particular directory using the command:
java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index c:\\index ..
, putting all the indexed files in c:\\index.
2) Everytime, I added an additional file in that directory. I need to
reindex/recompile that directory to generate the indexes again. As the directory
gets larger, the indexing takes a longer time.

My question is how do I generate the indexes automatically everytime a new
document is added in that directory without me recompiling everytime manually?

How does Lucene detect new documents to be added to the indexes?

I saw the codes but the indexes are only generated for that directory only after
I use the command mentioned above.

Is there a code or built in function that allows Lucene to detect and build the
indexes on its own?

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Hadianto [mailto:vichad@hadianto.net]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 1:07 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Lucene refresh index function (incremental indexing).

Ah .. ic,

But you don't need to do that even if you can do it. Lucene does incremental
indexing. So you would create a new program to add your document manually using
IndexWriter, not blatting the index and doing it again.

Seems like you just trying out Lucene, I suggest having a look in the source
code of IndexHTML and you will see that there is no magic there, it just
traverse the directory and index the HTML file one by one using IndexWriter.

BTW you don't compile directory using Lucene .. :)

/victor