lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dror Matalon <d...@zapatec.com>
Subject StandardAnalyzer defaults to OR on query
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:33:20 GMT
Hi,

>From
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/queryparsersyntax.html

	The OR operator is the default conjunction operator. This means that
	if there is no Boolean operator between two terms, the OR operator is
		used.

So "foo bar" is equivalent to "foo OR bar" and will probably return more
hits than just plain "foo" .

On the other hand when I go to google and type "foo" i get 4 million
hits, and if I type "foo bar" I get around 1 million hits, which seems
to indicate that it's equivalent to "foo AND bar" . That's my experience
of using google that the more keywords you add, the more specific the
query is, the less documents we get.

Personally, I don't mind too much, I can add the "AND" when I need them
and Lucene does return the documents that match both terms first. But
I'm worried that it'll confuse some users who are used to the google
approach.

Regards,

Dror

--