lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: inter-term correlation [was Re: Vector Space Model in Lucene?]
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 01:14:59 GMT
On Friday 14 November 2003 11:50, Chong, Herb wrote:
> if you are handling inter correlation properly, then terms can't cross
> sentence boundaries. if you are not paying attention to sentence
> boundaries, then you are not following rules of linguistics.

Isn't that quite strict interpretation, however? There are many cases where
linguistically separate sentences do have strong dependendies; in web world
simple things like list items may be very closely related. Put another way;
it may not be trivially easy to detect sentence boundaries, nor is it certain
that what (from language viewpoint) is a boundary really is hard boundary
from semantic perspective? And are there not varying levels of separation
(sentences close to each other often are related, back references being
common), not just one, between sentences?

As to storing boundaries in index; am I naive if I suggested just marker
tokens that could easily be used to mark boundaries (sentence, paragraph,
section)? Code that uses that information would obviously need to know
details of marking used, but would it be infeasible to use such in-band
information?

-+ Tatu +-