lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dror Matalon <d...@zapatec.com>
Subject Re: Objection to using /tmp for lock files.
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:25:16 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 10:18:39AM -0800, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Dror Matalon wrote:
> >In there a reason why RODirectory shouldn't just be rolled into lucene?
> >
> >http://www.csita.unige.it/software/free/lucene/
>
> This just looks like a version of FSDirectory with lock files disabled.
>  I think it would be better to just make it easier to disable lock
> files.  Currently this is only possible through setting a system property.

Since setting system properties requires permissions (they affect the
whole JVM), they're also somewhat problematic. We're, for instance,
running tomcat with a security manager and setting properties requires
changes to the config file.

> Should we add a method like the following?
>
>   /** Disables the use of lock files. */
>   public static FSDirectory.disableLocks();

That would probably be the preffered method, no pun intended.

Dror

> Doug

Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc