lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dror Matalon <d...@zapatec.com>
Subject Re: Objection to using /tmp for lock files.
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:00:47 GMT

In there a reason why RODirectory shouldn't just be rolled into lucene?

http://www.csita.unige.it/software/free/lucene/

I've been experimenting with it and it seems to work as advertised. It
has the advantage of not requiring *any* write capability in /tmp or
anywhere else.

Regards,

Dror

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:36:40AM -0800, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> >When I first read this changelog entry:
> >
> > > 2. Changed file locking to place lock files in
> > >    System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir"), where all users are
> > >    permitted to write files.  This way folks can open and correctly
> > >    lock indexes which are read-only to them.
> >
> >I just assumed that this was an optional feature.
> >
> >I think this is a dangerous change and should be disabled by default (or
> >only enabled with lock files can't be used due to read only media).
>
> Why is this dangerous?  Are you concerned about malicious users locking
> indexes in a denial of service attack?  If so, perhaps we should have an
> option to change where locks are stored, so that they could be, e.g.,
> moved to /var/lock/lucene or somesuch which could have special protections.
>
> Before this patch, folks could not open an index in a read-only manner
> unless they had write access to its directory.  I think that is a larger
> bug and more dangerous, as it means that anyone who can search an index
> can destroy it.
>
> I think it is proper that locks are not stored in the same place as the
> index, as in many cases this is not writable by the searching
> application, and the lock directory should be writable by all who can
> read the index.
>
> Doug

Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc