lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Reopen IndexWriter after delete?
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:46:37 GMT
> 1).  If I delete a term using an IndexReader, can I use an existing
> IndexWriter to write to the index?  Or do I need to close and reopen
> the IndexWriter?

No.  You should close IndexWriter first, then open IndexReader, then
call delete, then close IndexReader, and then open a new IndexWriter.

> 2).  Is it safe to call IndexReader.delete(term) while an IndexWriter
> is
> writing?  Or should I be synchronizing these two tasks so only one
> occurs at a time?

No, it is not safe.  You should close the IndexWriter, then delete the
document and close IndexReader, and then get a new IndexWriter and
continue writing.

Incidentally, I just wrote a section about concurrency issues and about
locking in Lucene for the upcoming Lucene book.

Otis