lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Victor Hadianto" <vic...@hadianto.net>
Subject Re: Rephrase My Question - How To Search Database With More Than One Pair of Property/Value as Parameters Using Lucene?
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:27:06 GMT
Lucene is a metadata based search engine. When you create 'Lucene document'
you create the metadata with the associated value.

For example

Document doc = new Document();
doc.Add(Field.Text("author", "Isobelle Carmody "));
doc.Add(Field.Text("category", "fiction"));
doc.Add(Field.Text("title", "Obernewtyn"));

And thus when you search Lucene you search based on the fields. For example
if you want to search the author carmody within the category fiction you
would do:

author:carmody AND category:fiction

This will return all documents that has the metadata author:carmody within
the category:fiction (or the other way around doesn't really matter).

HTH,

/victor