lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Paulsen" <joseph.paul...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Contributing to Lucene (was RE: inter-term correlation [was R e: Vector Space Model in Lucene?])
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:12:28 GMT
Hope this isn't out of context - but Dan makes a very valid point.
Besides the potential performance slowdown if NLP was always applied to
a users query - there are times that an exact term match is desired
without the "query expansion" that an NLP process normally requires.

Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chong, Herb" <HChong3@bloomberg.com>
To: "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:00 AM
Subject: RE: Contributing to Lucene (was RE: inter-term correlation [was
R e: Vector Space Model in Lucene?])

show an example document.

Herb....

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Quaroni [mailto:dquaroni@OPENRATINGS.com]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 9:48 AM
To: 'Lucene Users List'
R e: Vector Space Model in Lucene?])

My only concern with this being integrated into lucene is that it be
done in
a way that doesn't make its use mandatory.  Lucene is powerful enough
that
it can be used for a lot of cases where NLP doesn't make any sense.  For
example, I think that sentence boundaries would severely screw up the
project I recently did using lucene because there are no sentences, but
there is punctuation.