lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Hierarchical document
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:31:34 GMT
On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 11:06  AM, Tom Howe wrote:
> contain Section and Study information and then, if a user wants a set
> of
> Study documents, just aggregate them after the search by hand or is
> there a more "lucene" way of doing this?  I'm trying to avoid storing
> too much redundant information to implement this kind of hierarchical
> structure, but that may not be possible.  I hope I'm being somewhat
> clear with my question.

There is not a more "lucene" way to do this - its really up to you to
be creative with this.  I'm sure there are folks that have implemented
something along these lines on top of Lucene.  In fact, I have a
particular interest in doing so at some point myself.  This is very
similar to the object-relational issues surrounding relational
databases - turning a pretty flat structure into an object graph.
There are several ideas that could be explored by playing tricks with
fields, such as giving them a hierarchical naming structure and
querying at the level you like (think Field.Keyword and PrefixQuery,
for example), and using a field to indicate type and narrowing queries
to documents of the desired type.

I'm interested to see what others have done in this area, or what ideas
emerge about how to accomplish this.

	Erik