lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Remove a token from a field
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:18:31 GMT
On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 03:53  AM, Albert Vila Puig wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Is there a way to remove a token from a document field entry?. For
> example, I've got a UnStored field in my index and I want to remove a
> token from this field without doing the delete and add document
> (because I'm inserting the documents by date and I don't want to loose
> that sort).
>
>    Is there an easy way to do that? Has anybody already started
> implementing it? Any suggestions about if I can do it in an efficient
> way? Maybe with another deletable file by fields?

Presently there is no way to "update" a document without doing a
delete/add.

The sorting issue is an interesting one.  By design, of course, Lucene
is meant to sort by score - period.  There has been an interesting
implementation of a custom searcher posted about this topic in the
recent past:

	http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/weblucene/weblucene/webapp/WEB-
INF/src/org/apache/lucene/search/
IndexOrderSearcher.java?rev=1.2&view=auto

It would be a performance hit to access the contents of a document
during searching to pull the contents of a field though, but that
search method shown could be adapted to do so and sort by a particular
field during searching.

I tend to suggest that date sorting is something that should be done on
a data set culled from hits after searching is complete rather than
during the searching operation itself.  There are games that could be
played with boosts and perhaps a custom Similarity implementation that
might be able to pull off date sorting somehow too - I'll add this to
my list of interesting things to try out for fun.

	Erik