lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Scott Ganyo <>
Subject Re: Multiple writers
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:56:53 GMT
Offhand, I would say that using 2 directories and merging them is
exactly what you waht.  It really shouldn't be all that complicated and
Lucene should handle the synchronization for you...

Dror Matalon wrote:

>Hi folks,
>We're in the process of adding search to our online RSS aggregator. You
>can see it in action at
>Currently we have more than five million items in the systems and it's
>growing at the rate of more than 100,00 a day.  So we need to take into
>account is that the index is constantly growing.
>One of the things we want to build into the system is the ability to
>rebuild the index on the fly while still inserting the items that are
>coming in.
>We've looked at having things go into different directories and then
>merge them, but it seems complicated and we'd need to worry about race
>conditions and locking issues.
>Anyone's done this before? Any suggestions?

...there is nothing more difficult to execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous
to administer than to introduce a new order to things; for he who introduces it has all those
who profit from the old order as his enemies; and he has only lukewarm allies in all those
who might profit from the new. - Niccolo Machiavelli

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message