lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: new release: 1.3 RC2
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:28:21 GMT
petite_abeille wrote:
> Quick question regarding release note number 11:
>
> What's the difference between IndexWriter.addIndexes(IndexReader[]) and
> IndexWriter.addIndexes(Directory[]) beside the fact that one takes an
> array of IndexReader and the other an array of Directory? Any functional
> differences? Is one way recommended over the other?

When merging lots of indexes (more than the mergeFactor), the
Directory-based method will use fewer file handles and less memory, as
it will only ever open mergeFactor indexes at once, while the
IndexReader-based method requires that all indexes be open when passed.
  The primary advantage of the IndexReader-based method is that one can
pass it IndexReaders that don't reside in a Directory (which is now
possible, as one may completely re-implement the IndexReader API).

For most folks I think sticking with the old method is best.  It's also
been tested much more!

Doug