lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Lucene on Windows
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:37:27 GMT
Tate Avery wrote:
> You might have trouble with "too many open files" if you set your mergeFactor too high.
 For example, on my Win2k, I can go up to mergeFactor=300 (or so).  At 400 I get a too many
open files error.  Note: the default mergeFactor of 10 should give no trouble.

Please note that it is never recommended that you set mergeFactor
anywhere near this high.  I don't know why folks do this.  It really
doesn't make indexing much faster, and it makes searching slower if you
don't optimize.  It's a bad idea.  The default setting of 10 works
pretty well.  I've also had good experience setting it as high as 50 on
big batch indexing runs, but do not recommend setting it much higher
than that.  Even then, this can cause problems if you need to use
several indexes at once, or you have lots of fields.

Doug