lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marius Seiceanu <marius.seice...@sec.co.ro>
Subject German stamming algorithm problem
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:50:07 GMT
Hello!

    I have an application which make searches in Lucene indexed
documents. The documents content is in German language.
    I use Lucene 1.3rc1.

    If I search for "Universit├Ąt" i get some results, but if I search
for "universit├Ąt" i get no results.

    In the CHANGES.TXT of 1.3rc1
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-lucene/CHANGES.txt?rev=1.45)
point 11 says that stamming is not case sensitive anymore.
11. Changed the German stemming algorithm to ignore case while
stripping. The new algorithm is faster and produces more equal stems
from nouns and verbs derived from the same word. (gschwarz)
    For  "Gesetz" and "gesetz" i get the same number of results!

Thank you,
       Marius Seiceanu.