lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Haruska" <jharu...@UpToDate.com>
Subject RE: Seting boost fsactor for keywords in one field
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:16:30 GMT
The boost factor is just one part of the relevance equation. It adjusts
the weight of the term for the query. It can still be trumped by other
more relevant parts of the query. Try adjusting the boost to larger
values.

I do have one question. If you know the order of documents to be
retrieved, why use Lucene? Why not just display the results to the user
in your hand picked order?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dragan Jotanovic [mailto:Dragan.Jotanovic@diosphere.com]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 8:48 AM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Seting boost fsactor for keywords in one field

I have an index with data about images (those data are obtained from
database). In Document among other fields I have one field that I use
for sorting. That field could take 10 different values (1 to 10). I set
boost for that field like following:

viewPriority:1^10
viewPriority:2^9
viewPriority:10^1

Unfortunately, search engine is not always retrieving results properly
sorted. For some queries it is OK, but for some it isn't.

Is this some kind of bug? Does anybody have similiar expirience? If
somebody knows how to overcome this problem I would appriciate help.