lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jt oob <jt2...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject The best way forward
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:51:50 GMT
Hi,
I am currently indexing around 6 million text
documents using lucene.

We have a new server arriving in the next few weeks
which the queries will be run on. With the following
stats: Dell 6650 - 4 x Xeon HT CPU's, 16 GB RAM, 36GB
SCSI Ultra160 Hdd. (connected to 1.5TB IDE RAID with
actual source documents)

What is the best strategy for fast searches?
Do I need to write a server which holds the indexes in
a RAMDirectory?

When should RAMDirectories generally be used? I have
read several articles saying that RAMDrives under
linux
are rarely a good idea, but am not sure on how to
interpret this in the context of lucene and
RAMDirectories.

I have looked over the documentation I have found on
the lucene web site - hope i haven't missed something.

Is there a general guide to building large search
engines with lucene? I am very new to the whole field.

Thanks for the great software!
jt