lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dror Matalon <d...@zapatec.com>
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:27:35 GMT
Hi Folks,

Is there a recommended strategy to deal with allowing to search an index
that is updated continuously?

One idea that I thought of is to have two indexes one for searching and
one for indexing. Periodically I would copy new files from the indexed
index to the search index and then I would stop writing to the original
index and then call optimize on both of them. The main advantage to this
is that I would only be copying the new data over. Since our index files
are over 1 gig, this is important because I wouldn't want to suspend
searches for too long.

The only problem is that I suspect that while I run the optimize() the
index is unavailable for searches.

Any better strategies for this?

This is all on a Unix system.

--