lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ype Kingma <ykin...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: score for MultipleSearcher
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:28:48 GMT
Hui,

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 19:31, hui wrote:
> Hi,
> When I use the Mutliple index seach on one large index and one small index,
> look like sometimes the documents from the small index get higher score
> compared the documents from the big index. But when I look at the score
> formular, this actaully should not happen. Both indices were created by
> Lucene API 1.3rc.
> Any idea aobut this?

This could happen in case the term weights are determined per index:
the fewer documents that contain a term, the higher the term weight,
(idf: inverse document frequency).
The default scores are not normalized for the idf term weights,
only for the query term weights.

As I'm still using 1.2, I have never tried the new 1.3 features for
searching multiple indexes. I would expect 1.3 to use the total
nr. of docs containing a term in searched all indexes together,
though.

Kind regards,
Ype.