lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Struts
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:11:05 GMT
On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 11:08  AM, Eric Jain wrote:
>> and I'm very particular
>> about URL's and how it maps to content
>
> I, too, am very particular about that.

A bit off topic, but I'll indulge myself for at least one more message
on this.  Here is a fun link I've been saving for a while:

	http://www.pixelcharmer.com/fieldnotes/archives/process_designing/
2003/000285.html

(notice their URL is a bit lame :)

> Unfortunately none of the web application frameworks I am aware of
> support this philosophy :-(

True, but I don't use an existing framework for a CMS, which my blog is
a "lite" version of.  I've done a lot with Struts, and I use it for
heavy form-based sites and it does the job acceptably well.  Now I'm
embarking on a relatively large-scale Tapestry project, and its URL's
are even more ridiculous.  At least with Struts you can control how
URI's are mapped to ActionServlet, so typically either *.do or /do/*,
and you have full control over the rest of the URI with the action
mappings.  There is even wildcard support to map a range of URI's to
the same Action, which may have already been added to the latest
codebase.

> There are some workarounds such as using mod_rewrite, but so far
> nothing
> really satisfying...

There is something slightly satisfying about the ease that mod_rewrite
does its thing though.  I use it, in fact, to map my old blog URL to my
new one - it is a straightforward domain and path prefix change,
nothing dramatic though.

	Erik