lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Lucene app to index Java code
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:54:03 GMT
Hi Otis,

On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Has anyone written an application that uses Lucene to index Java code,
> either from the source .java files, or compiled .class files?

If you are talking about my ultra secret project "Zapata: Coding
Mexican Style", then yes ;)

But... it uses runtime information to reach its devious ends and is
more like a documentation tool than anything else...

Anyway, this is how it goes:

Given a set of binary jar files it builds an object graph of the
bytecode: packages, classes, methods and so on. Complete with
interdependencies and other handy informations. The bytecode is also
run through a decompiler and pretty printed to normalize the source.
Code segments are attached and indexed alongside their owners (class or
method). All this fully indexed, searchable and cross referenced.

This is built upon the same engine used by ZOE, so the end result is
very much along the lines of what ZOE does for email, but for code
instead... fun, fun, fun ;)

Cheers,

PA.