lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Announce : arabic Stemmer/Analyzer for Lucene
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:48:12 GMT
On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 09:20  AM, Pierrick Brihaye wrote:
>> We can have no GPL code in Apache's CVS.
>
> :-/ How can we do, so ? Shall I split the packages in two parts ? No
> problems for the "Lucene bindings". But there could be one for the
> aramorph
> package (java port of the original work), which is based on work
> originally
> ruled by the GPL...

Since you ported GPL code, aren't you required to GPL your version as
well?  I'm not a lawyer and not clear on how this works.  You can use
reflection to "link" to GPL code from Apache code, but I don't think
you can directly import GPL'd packages (again, I'm not clear on this
though).

The safest bet is to just host what you've done on your own or at
Sourceforge or java.net.  It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have
some type of repository of Lucene extensions hosted elsewhere anyway to
solve the GPL issue.

	Erik