lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene app to index Java code
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:35:41 GMT
On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 01:30  PM, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>> - XDoclet could be used to sweep through Java code and build a
>> text/XML file as richly as you'd like from the information there
>> (complete with JavaDoc tags, which Zapata will miss :)), and then run
>> Lucene on the generated files.  On a related note, the XDoclet2
>> architecture would streamline this even further by eliminating the
>> middle textual representation (QDox/XJavadoc reads Java as a "meta
>> data provider" and then a Lucene "plugin" indexes things).  It could
>> be done without the intermediate text representation even in XDoclet
>> 1.2, but it would require coding a custom subtask and be slightly out
>> of the norm for XDoclet subtasks (but would work just fine).
>
> It would be faster to write a native doclet as this would remove the
> XML parse overhead...  The whole point of this thing is that it needs
> to be fast!

Do you mean the Ant build file parsing?  That would be the only XML
parsing in the equation I'm proposing, unless you did it the clunkiest
XDoclet 1.2 way of having an intermediate XML file.

As for speed.... QDox, I've heard, is the fastest option.  javadoc is
the slowest parsing of the three I know of (javadoc, xjavadoc, qdox).

	Erik