lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: some requests
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:45:29 GMT
On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 11:15  AM, hui wrote:
> 1. Move the Analyzer down to field level from document level so some
> fields
> could be applied a specail analyzer.Other fields still use the default
> analyzer from the document level.
> For example, I do not need to index the number for the "content"
> field. It
> helps me reduce the index size a lot when I have some excel files. But
> always need the "created_date" to be indexed though it is a number
> field.
>
> I know there are some workarounds put in the group, but I think it
> should be
> a good feature to have.

The "workaround" is to write a custom analyzer and and have it do the
desired thing per-field.

Hmmm.... just thinking out loud here without knowing if this is
possible, but could a generic "wrapper" Analyzer be written that allows
other analyzers to be used under the covers based on a field
name/analyzer mapping?   If so, that would be quite cool and save folks
from having to write custom analyzers as much to handle this pretty
typical use-case.  I'll look into this more in the very near future
personally, but feel free to have a look at this yourself and see what
you can come up with.

	Erik