lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leo Galambos <Le...@seznam.cz>
Subject Re: Lucene features
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:57:20 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> I have some extensions to Lucene that I've not yet commited which make
> it possible to easily define synthetic IndexReaders (not currently
> supported).  So you could do things that way, once I check these in.
> But is this really better than just ANDing the clauses together?  It
> would take some big experiments to know, but my guess is that it
> doesn't make much difference to compute a "local" IDF for such things.

In this case, I think that the operator would be evaluated as "an
implication" and not "AND" (=1-(((1-q1)^p+(1-q2)^p )/2 )^(1/p)).
Obviously, you have to use an filter to filter out false hits (in case
of q1->q2, the formula is true when q1 is false, so it is not what you
really need), but it is not an issue with the auxiliary index. On the
other hand, it is a feeling and it needs a test, you are right.

Leo