lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leo Galambos <Le...@seznam.cz>
Subject Re: Lucene features
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:42:56 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> Yes, you're right.  Getting the scores of a second query based on the
>> scores of the first query is probably not trivial, but probably
>> possible with Lucene.  And that combined with a QueryFilter would do
>> the trick I suspect.  Somehow the scores of the first query could be
>> remembered and used as a boost (or other type of factor) the scores
>> of the second query.
>

> Why not just AND together the first and second query?  That way
> they're both incorporated in the ranking.  Filters are good when you
> don't want it to affect the ranking, and also when the first query is
> a criterion that you'll reuse for many queries (e.g.,
> language=french), since the bit vectors can be cached (as by
> QueryFilter).

You probably missed the start of our discussion - we are talking about
this: "q1 -> q2" which means "NOT q1 OR q2", versus "q2 -> q1" which
means "q1 OR NOT q2". It causes the issue, and it also shows why you
cannot use the simple "AND", because "q1 AND q2" != "NOT q1 OR q2" !=
"q1 OR NOT q2".

Leo

BTW: I didn't see the logic formulas for many years, so it is without
any guarantee ;-)