lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Lucene features
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:59:51 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Yes, you're right.  Getting the scores of a second query based on the
> scores of the first query is probably not trivial, but probably possible
> with Lucene.  And that combined with a QueryFilter would do the trick I
> suspect.  Somehow the scores of the first query could be remembered and
> used as a boost (or other type of factor) the scores of the second query.

Why not just AND together the first and second query?  That way they're
both incorporated in the ranking.  Filters are good when you don't want
it to affect the ranking, and also when the first query is a criterion
that you'll reuse for many queries (e.g., language=french), since the
bit vectors can be cached (as by QueryFilter).

Doug