lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <>
Subject Re: Lucene app to index Java code
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:30:13 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> A couple of thoughts on this:
> - Eclipse uses Lucene for its code indexing/searching (I learned this
> at the OSCON Keynote by Eclipse folks).  Perhaps looking at how
> Eclipse does its thing would be useful even if not the solution.
> - XDoclet could be used to sweep through Java code and build a
> text/XML file as richly as you'd like from the information there
> (complete with JavaDoc tags, which Zapata will miss :)), and then run
> Lucene on the generated files.  On a related note, the XDoclet2
> architecture would streamline this even further by eliminating the
> middle textual representation (QDox/XJavadoc reads Java as a "meta
> data provider" and then a Lucene "plugin" indexes things).  It could
> be done without the intermediate text representation even in XDoclet
> 1.2, but it would require coding a custom subtask and be slightly out
> of the norm for XDoclet subtasks (but would work just fine).

It would be faster to write a native doclet as this would remove the XML
parse overhead...  The whole point of this thing is that it needs to be

Help Support NewsMonster Development!  Purchase NewsMonster PRO!

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web -
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
  IRC - #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #newsmonster

View raw message