lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: Lucene app to index Java code
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:29:09 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>What you describe sounds interesting, but I was thinking more along the
>lines of this:
>
>http://www.peerfear.org/rss/permalink/2003/07/23/LuceneForSourceManagement/
>
>An application that I could use to find out whether I already have a
>'getStudents' or 'getStudents*' method somewhere in the source code,
>for instance, before I start writing it.  As the code base grows
>larger, and as the team that works with it becomes bigger, this tools
>becomes more and more valuable.
>If this application could also index Javadocs, so that I can search for
>methods or classes that mention +student* +(database OR db) +update,
>that would be even better.
>
>Has anyone done this?
>Kevin Burton mentioned something similar to what I described above, at
>that URL, but it looks like he didn't make his application available.

It's just two source files + Lucene plus I didn't do all the work to
make it into an OSS package.  99% of OSS work isn't technical but
political, maintenance, etc..

If someone wants to start an OSS project for this and do all the grunt
work I will do the coding :)  I don't know what parser I wnat to use to
tokenize the source but a Doclet would be perfect for this....  The only
problem is that this wouldn't allow full differential builds and would
slow down the generation....

Also it just dawned on me that the Emacs compile-internal function
parses stdout in the form of file:line# so this would make a great way
to integrate for us Emacs geeks.

Kevin

--
Help Support NewsMonster Development!  Purchase NewsMonster PRO!

    http://www.newsmonster.org/download-pro.html

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D