lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: Lucene app to index Java code
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:23:56 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Has anyone written an application that uses Lucene to index Java code,
>either from the source .java files, or compiled .class files?
>
>I need to create a searchable index for Java code, so that I can use
>that index to check if classes or methods with certain functionality
>have already been written.  This is an effort to remove code
>duplication and do more code re-use.  If this application can also
>index Javadocs, even better!
>
>I think I heard of somebody doing this already.  Kevin Burton?

I was playing with it... blogged about it here...

http://www.peerfear.org/rss/permalink/2003/07/23/LuceneForSourceManagement/

>This is something that would fit nicely in Erik's Ant IndexTask in
>Lucene Sandbox), I think.

Yes... I was thinking about making an ant task for it or using someone
else's.  One of the cool things would be direct integration within the IDE.

Also parsing the .java file into a token stream and then indexing the
tokens would make a blazingly fast doc completion facility....

Kevin

--
Help Support NewsMonster Development!  Purchase NewsMonster PRO!

    http://www.newsmonster.org/download-pro.html

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D