lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Becker <pbec...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: Docco 0.2 / contribution offer
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:36:27 GMT
Hi Gregor,

Gregor Heinrich wrote:

>Hi Peter.
>
>Docco is a great tool which I have been using since you posted your first
>announcement (version 1.0, that is). Beside the things you mention in you

No, it must be 0.1 :-) It wasn't too bad for a first hack, though *g*

>mail I also generally think it's a great idea to using formal concept
>analysis with Lucene. I would be interested to explore the idea also for
>more structured data (maybe include fields and even hierarchies).

Sounds interesting. We will be busy with other things for a month or
two, afterwards we will probably do some experiments with extending
Docco towards LSA and similar technologies (main idea is guessing good
keywords to refine the query -- which is a bit different if you are
happy with overspecified queries). If you have some particular ideas we
can discuss them on tockit-general@lists.sf.net. Combining the current
Docco approach with conceptual scaling could be interesting -- if that
is what you mean. It would be a bit off-topic here, so let's put this on
our list.

The question for this list was more if someone is interested in turning
the indexing and index managements bits into a separate project. I'd
love to see it used by a broader audience and I think it would make
getting started with Lucene a bit easier for some people -- at least if
we add a little JavaDoc in form of package.htmls and class descriptions.
And there are not that many classes, so that shouldn't be too much pain.

>Apart from this, if I had an idea of the time commitments connected, I would
>definitely consider to join.

Hey -- it is Open Source and voluntary. You commit as much time as you
want ;-) Not that that couldn't be a problem -- at least I tend to try
too many things at once.

If you are interested in more Docco-specific things, just post your
ideas on our mailing list. That's usually a good start to get involved.
And I am academic enough to always find the time to discuss things --
doing them is the hard bit :-) Once I understand what exactly you want
to do I can probably give you a reasonable estimate of the effort involved.

Cheers,
  Peter