lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karsten Konrad" <>
Subject AW: Negative boosting?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:27:51 GMT

I have done negative boosts, it does work; you must construct your
query terms accordingly. I found the results somewhat unintuitive -
the mixture of negative and postive boosts (mainly 1.0), TF/IDF
and document length normalization will very often make documents
more relevant that you did not expect to be.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Saarbrücken

Dr.-Ing. Karsten Konrad
Head of Artificial Intelligence Lab

XtraMind Technologies GmbH
Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3
D-66123 Saarbrücken
Phone: +49 (681) 3025113
Fax: +49 (681) 3025109

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Terry Steichen []
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. September 2003 16:05
An: Lucene Users Group
Betreff: Negative boosting?

I've often found the use of query-based boosting to be very beneficial.  This is particularly
so when it's easy to identify the term that I want to stand out as a primary selector.

However, I've come across quite a few other cases where it would be easier (and more logical)
to apply a negative boost - to de-emphasize the match when the term is present.

Is it possible to apply a negative boost (It doesn't seem to work), and if not, would it break
anything signficant if that were added?

View raw message