lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From pifpaf...@gmx.de
Subject Re: Huge RAM and small IO bandwidth indexing fast
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:15:58 GMT
> I included some information about improving indexing performance in my
> second Lucene article on Onjava.com.  The article was published a few
> months ago, so you'll have to enter Lucene in the search box on
> Onjava.com site.

Many thanks, this was helpful. I wonder if you could just
put a paragraph in the javadocs about mergeFactor saying that

  "it is the number of documents kept
   in memory before writing them to file. To minimize file system
   access, raise this number, but expect up to
   (mergeFactor+1)*numFilesPerSegment files to be open
   at the same time, which may be beyond the processes limit".

This would explain a lot.

  Thanks,
  Harald.

2. GMX ProMail - Platz 2 und Preis-Qualit├Ątssieger!