lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From faizal abdoelrahman <faizal19732...@yahoo.com>
Subject boolean and query through multiple fields
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:06:06 GMT
Hi,

I have n terms in my query and I want each term to
match content from a field, but not necessarily within
a field.

Example fields: manufacturer, description
.Now I want to search for the terms "red" "ford" in
any of these fields, but each term should match some
field.

Solutions I came up with but are really not
satisfactory:
- permute query
  (+manufacturer:red  +description:ford) or
(+manufacturer:ford +description:red)
  rejected because the number of combinations grows
very large with many fields and many search terms
- concatenating the contents of these selected fields
into one field doing "+concat_field:ford
+concat_field:red".
  This works but now I loose all the advantages of a
multifield index.

Hopefully one of you can help me out or point me to
lucene api sections which I can extend to achieve this
 effect.

Faizal Abdoelrahman
Amsterdam