lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: Lucene features
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 05:34:52 GMT
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:45:25AM -0400, Chris Sibert wrote:
> I am wondering if Lucene is the way to go for my project.

     Probably.  Tell us a little about your project.

> I don't know what other search engines are available out there,

     Lucene isn't a search engine _application_, it's a search engine
_API_.  Lucene gives you what you need in order to build the search
engine you want, instead of spending gobs of time trying to figure out
the 10,000 options available for a search engine application, or
trying to warp somebody else's ideas of what you need to meet what you
really need.

> and how Lucene stacks up against them.

     Pretty well, if you're willing to put a (very) little time and
energy into to building the application you need.  I know.  I've done
it.

> I am wondering if Lucene has a full set of searching features,
> comparable to what I might find in a reasonably priced commercial
> package.

     There is no comparison :-).  Lucene is a fundamentally decent
piece of technology.  This puts it head and shoulders above most
commercial packages.

     Specifically, the Lucene search engine API is blindingly fast at
searching and at indexing, and comes with several built-in packages to
provide several of the commonly needed functions (like a web search
engine style query language parser).

     Additionally, a wide variety of people have been down this road
and done a wide variety of things with Lucene, so you're likely to be
able to find examples, in the Lucene sandbox or in the lucene-user
archives, of how to do whatever it is you want to do.

> Anyone with a solid knowledge of Lucene care to make me feel warm
> and fuzzy about my decision so far to use Lucene ?

     Tell us a little more about your project requirements and I'll
tell you enough specifics to give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Lucene isn't perfect for _everything_ (and anybody who claims that a
given technology *is* perfect for _everything_ is lying).  But it's
quite good for a number of things.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com