lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene app to index Java code
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:03:05 GMT
A couple of thoughts on this:

- Eclipse uses Lucene for its code indexing/searching (I learned this
at the OSCON Keynote by Eclipse folks).  Perhaps looking at how Eclipse
does its thing would be useful even if not the solution.

- XDoclet could be used to sweep through Java code and build a text/XML
file as richly as you'd like from the information there (complete with
JavaDoc tags, which Zapata will miss :)), and then run Lucene on the
generated files.  On a related note, the XDoclet2 architecture would
streamline this even further by eliminating the middle textual
representation (QDox/XJavadoc reads Java as a "meta data provider" and
then a Lucene "plugin" indexes things).  It could be done without the
intermediate text representation even in XDoclet 1.2, but it would
require coding a custom subtask and be slightly out of the norm for
XDoclet subtasks (but would work just fine).

- My <index> task could be used, but it would be better to use
something that built a complete object-graph of all the source code you
want indexed, so that it can deal with base classes, inherited javadoc
tags, and other such interactions between classes you might want to
capture.

	Erik