lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "David Medinets" <medi...@mtolive.com>
Subject Re: Announce : arabic Stemmer/Analyzer for Lucene
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:55:32 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <erik@ehatchersolutions.com>
> On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 10:08  AM, Pierrick Brihaye wrote:
> > So... it is an ASL infringement from my part to have prepended
> > "org.apache.lucene" to the aramorph package :-) ?
>
> Well, there are no rules or legalese about restricting package naming
> conventions anywhere that I know of (in or out of Apache) except for
> the java.* and sun.* that is built-into Java itself that can seal these
> out from use.  So there is probably no problem using that package name
> on GPL'd code.

There may be no legal objection, but is it considered a good idea to
appropriate the namespace? If you don't own a domain and your name isn't
common, then I'd suggest using a package such as
org.pierrick.brihaye.aramorph. Alternatively you could be more creative. As
far as I know, there are no restrictions on package names except those
imposed on directory names. So you don't need to start with 'org' or 'com'.
How about coder.pierrick.brihaye.aramorph?

David Medinets
http://www.codebits.com