lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Negative boosting?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:05:05 GMT
I've often found the use of query-based boosting to be very beneficial.  This is particularly
so when it's easy to identify the term that I want to stand out as a primary selector.

However, I've come across quite a few other cases where it would be easier (and more logical)
to apply a negative boost - to de-emphasize the match when the term is present.

Is it possible to apply a negative boost (It doesn't seem to work), and if not, would it break
anything signficant if that were added?

Regards,

Terry