lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Sibert" <chrissib...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Lucene features
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 18:42:48 GMT
Lucene Users List <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>

> > I am wondering if Lucene is the way to go for my project.
>
>      Probably.  Tell us a little about your project.

It's pretty basic. I'm just indexing 4 large text files, ranging up to 100MB
in size. They don't ever change, and are on a CD-ROM. Each file contains a
bunch of small documents. I just create one index for all 4 of them. These
documents are for an association that I belong to - they contain a history
of the association's documents - and my application allows you to search
them.

They are actually currently indexed by an application called 'Sonar', by
Virginia Systems. But I REALLY didn't like using their user interface -
blech - so I decided to
write a new interface for my own use. But Sonar costs some real bucks to be
able to develop against their search API, so I found Lucene, and decided to
go with it.

Here are the search features that 'Sonar' has :
  Boolean Searching
  Proximity Searching
  Wild Card Searching
  Field/Block Searching
  Relevancy Ranking / Date Ranking
  List of Occurrences in Context

  Phonetic Searching
  Synonyms/Concepts
  Relational Searching
  Associated Words
  Drill Down Search Narrowing

I think that Lucene has all the features in the first group. How does it
stack up against the second group ?

I'm writing the whole thing in Swing, which has been time consuming, and so
have invested quite a bit of time into this project. But I'm seeing the end
of the tunnel, and want to make sure that I'm going down the right path
before I spend too much more time on it.